Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 24: Be Content With What God Sent



Today my little girl turned 13! Can it be that all those years have gone by and my baby is now entering her adolecscent years? So we bid farewell to the days of play dough and barbie dolls and we welcome the "teen years." 

 I am very proud of my little girl.  As the oldest child in the family she has proven herself to be a great example of discipline to her siblings. 

One of the characteristics I admire about Carina is her contentment.  Being the oldest in a large family means she's learned to share her posessions and many times wait for the things that she would really like to have. 
 
Since this year she turned 13, Carl and I decided to reward her and get her something she really wanted.  It was our way of letting her know that her admirable ways do not go unnoticed.

As parents we want to give her what she wants, but also want her to understand when we don't.

Contentment is a characteristic I wish I would possess more of, which is one the reasons I admire it so much in her.   
 
Why is contentment so hard for us to attain? Is it our culture? Our community?

What about the Isrealites? 
Sure, they didn't have all the materialism we have today, but they made a choice...

God set His promises before them and they
 chose to go after what they wanted instead of trusting Him

all their days


 
They asked for water..God quenched their thirst.
They asked for meat...God gave them quail

...but it wasn't enough. 
So God in all His wisdom, gave them what they wanted...
until they were sick of it.

Numbers 11: 18-20
The LORD heard you when you wailed, “If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!” Now the LORD will give you meat, and you will eat it. You will not eat it for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, but for a whole month—until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it—because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, “Why did we ever leave Egypt?”"

Sometimes I can relate to the Isrealites. I want something because, by my own standard, I think I will be better off. I'm learning that contentment is not about our situation but about our overall attitude towards the situation.


Do I choose daily to be content with what God sent?
OR
Do I choose to reject what my Father lavishes on me for
the sake of looking ahead and wanting more?

I long to have the attitude of Paul. Don't you?
Phillipians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
 
Whether in plenty or in want we are all showered with blessings.

In order to show our kids the blessings that out-weigh our wants,
we will make a blessing journal for the family to write down our daily blessings and let contentment settle our hearts. 

Will you choose contentment daily?

1 Timothy 6:6   
But godliness with contentment is great gain.





1 comment:

  1. Don't worry...the days of play dough and barbie dolls will never end-unless I run out of creativity and hairstyles!!!! lol :) 

    ReplyDelete