Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 35: Listen Up

Parenting is a tough job! And just when you think you might have found the formula that works, the next child challenges it.

 
Throughout my scripure reading for Good Morning Girls and the book study of The Ministry of Motherhood, I've been noticing many bible verses that I never saw as parenting verses applied in a way that have made me think of my relationship with God in a more direct Father-Daughter type of way.

I can see how I sometimes treat God in a way that would frustrate me if my kids treated me that way.  God speaks...I ignore
He directs me...I choose to do things differently.

Sometimes,(although it seems like always) we remind our kids when we're going out, to have a listening ear out for when we call their name. Of course, they nod their little heads up and down in compliance, only to forget by the excitement of being with their friends and having a good time.

 Well, we're no different. 
God spoke clearly of the Isrealites and the way they had chosen to rebel.
It seems that when they got together with their friends,  they began listening more to each other than God,

 Hebrews 3:15
Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion.”
This is God's parental warning to them.  It's His version of when we say "Now."

God is telling them, this is your warning, if you hear me do not turn away because remember what happened to you when you did.

I'm sure they remembered their 40 year punishment.
Sometimes it seems simpler to turn a deaf ear to God and continue on the way we were headed instead of following His leading.
  
Listening takes work because when we listen we have to follow through on what God has asked of us.    
 
Do you ever ignore God's voice?


Have you ever read something in the bible and you get that sinking feeling in your stomach because you know what coming next? You can either follow through on God's leading or ignore him. 
Follow through always means change, something most humans don't adapt well too.  Getting uncomfortable... being stretched...being refined. It's a difficult process but it has great benefits when we follow through.

We grow. In character, in understanding, and closer
to our heavenly Father.
 
So today, when you hear God's voice, what choice will you make?
Make the choice to obey His word, daily. 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment