Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 3: An Empty Refrigerator

                     
There is something inside me that does not like an empty refrigeratorIt feels homey to me if my fridge is full of food. 

As I looked inside my refrigerator today I realized just how difficult the next month was going to be.  We've been eating what we have on hand and buying only the essentials so that we can clear the refrigerator out and begin anew.  

I don't know if it’s because I grew up with a dad who always bought and made food in abundance or if Hollywood put this thought in my head.  Think about it, the only time you see an empty refrigerator on TV or in the movies is when the character is struggling with an issue and has a half eaten pizza and a drink in there.
We are so used to storing MORE than we need that to ONLY have what we need seems like it’s not enough.  I remember when we had a few cabinets to store our food in growing up.  Now we have pantries and find other spaces to store our warehouse-sized peanut butter jars. 

I love warehouse clubs because it does have its advantages, especially for a family of our size but I want this to be a time of growth for us.

I want my kids to appreciate what they eat or even the fact that they CAN eat daily. I want them to thank God for their daily bread and really mean it as opposed to just sending up a prayer because it’s the right thing to do. I want their mealtimes to be valuable because it is a gift from God (our manna from heaven) instead of just a mechanical ritual to fill their tummies. 

Jesus comforted us to know that he would meet our needs in Matthew 6:26, Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

The answer is yes, you are valuable and he does meet your needs.

1 comment:

  1. I really learned a lot from this feed. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete