Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 5: Leftovers or "Left for...?"

“‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and for the foreigner residing among you. I am the LORD your God.’”  Leviticus 23:22

Leftovers... we either love them or hate them. I happen to have the same relationship with leftovers that I have with vegetables.  They go unnoticed until I
clean out the fridge.

Let's face it, leftovers can be boring...
but it can feed a starving soul.

We have a responsibility to help those around us by sharing our gleanings.

Matthew 25:35,37,40
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink...
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?...



 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’


It doesn't take much effort for our "leftovers" to become "left for" someone in need.
  
So as part of our daily living we are giving away our leftovers.  We bought take-out containers and after dinner anything that is left is pack up and ready to take with us on our next trip out. 

The food we'd so easily dispose of, can be a blessing to someone who has missed a meal or doesn't know when they'll receive their next one.

I would love to say that I've blessed someone by giving them a homemade meal but in reality the one who has been blessed by this is me. He is opening my heart to feel the compassion he feels for the less fortunate. He is opening my eyes to see ways that I can serve Him...by serving the least of these.

What do you do with your leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment