Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 8: Reaching Out


Acts 17:26-28
From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.

Life is chaotic.  Believe me, I know.  It seems like just when we think we'll get a break, something else comes into the picture to keep us going.  Sometimes we're on auto-pilot, living out life's demands, that we forget to notice everything that God has put in front of us to remind us that He's right there.  
Last night we drove to the tomato field near our home.  We parked and in the dark night sky got out of the car and just listened.  It amazed me that in the middle of Miami there was a place this quiet.  It felt like we were in Kansas when in reality we were three minutes away from our house.  

We heard crickets and other night noises that at other times would become background.  But on this night, the singing melodies of God's creation was the opening act. 

It was so peaceful.

 
Just a few minutes before, I had been running around at home trying see how much more I could pack into this day and now the only thing that mattered was being here, in this moment, taking a breath of tranquility and receiving this gift that God was giving me.

All it took for me to receive it was reaching out because He was there waiting to bless me.
 I wondered, why don't I seek Him more? In a consistent, intentional, going out of my way and making myself uncomfortable sort of way.

We decided that in the same way we begin our day praying for and receiving our daily bread we would also end the day giving thanks and seeking Him.

In the past week Carl and I have seen incredible changes in our family. 
We're less stressed, more joyous, and we're finding value in the things we would otherwise take for granted.
We're seeking Him out and He's blessing us.

It feels liberating to be free from the norm and adventuring with God.   

If we would stop more often and take notice, we would see the fullness of God. Whether in the light of the early dawn or the deep darkness of the night, He is there...waiting to draw near. 

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.

What are you doing today to intentionally seek the Lord? 

 








           



        1 comment:

        1. thank you for sharing this, it really make think, about my relationship with God. Foe a while now, i had been asking him to bring me closer to Him, and I thought there were no answer for me, when in reality, I was not listening, because I had been so worry and preocupide with earthly things, that I did not pay attention to His voice. Thank you, through you He has spoken to me.

          ReplyDelete