Friday, October 5, 2012

Serving Joyfully


When I was pregnant with my first child, I had visions dancing in my head of what motherhood would be like. I pictured myself in a white cotton flowing dress, looking nice I might add, as I sang to my baby. I couldn't wait to dress her and care for her. I was eager to nurture this unborn child.

Then my baby was born. She was so sweet and I loved her so much... So why the postpartum depression? Oh, and what was I doing wrong that she was having these uncontrollable crying fits every evening between 4-6 pm? Why didn't she sleep at night!

Those dreams of tending to my baby had turned into chores. The cotton flowing dress had turned into a cotton tshirt with all sorts of mysterious stains! Ugh!!

Well, that stage with my first child did pass and exactly 12 months later I was doing it all over again with child #2.  Well, it didnt get easier, not even with child #3, 4, or 5!

Which brings me to my topic.... Serving joyfully.

It's hard to serve joyfully when we feel tired, overwhelmed, unnoticed, and sometimes like we're serving in vain!

Admittedly, I don't always serve with joy. There are things I've done begrudgingly, to prove a point, or with some motive other than joy.

But I want to serve my family... joyfully, for the sheer joy of just serving because I love them.  I want to serve like Jesus.  Even when he knew he was headed to the cross he washed the feet of His disciples.  Even when he was performing miracles and tired from a long day,  when he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them.

The problem I sometimes face? Expectations. If I do this then...___________ (Fill in the blank).  If I just cleaned the bathroom, you better watch your aim.

Serving wholeheartedly with no expectations brings fulfillment and we can do it if we change our attitude.  Why am I doing this? Because I feel I have to, or because I'm choosing to bless my family with... _____________ (fill in the blank) a clean home, a healthy meal etc.

Our families are our first ministry unto the Lord. Our service to them teaches them how to serve, as well as, demonstrates our love to them. We have a great example, lets follow it. 

Serve wholeheartedly, as if we were serving the Lord, not men.  Ephesians 6:7 

How will you serve your family joyfully today?

No comments:

Post a Comment