Thursday, October 25, 2012

Serving As a Family


Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn.
~Benjamin Franklin

What a powerful quote.  I find this to be helpful in all areas with our families but there is one area that I want to focus it on more today.  Serving.  Whether its serving others or each other, modeling it is the best way to teach service to our children, not only by them seeing you serve but by serving along side them.

Relationships are multi-faceted and its amazing how deep our relationships can grow in different areas when we dig deeper and encounter new experiences together.

Serving can begin with serving one another at home and extend it outward to those around us that need our support.  Helping a sibling with schoolwork or doing an unexpected chore are a few ways that we can teach kids how to be on the lookout for ways to help others.  

Many times when my husband has asked for volunteers at church, the kids are always the ones that are eager to help.  Maybe us adults have something to learn from them.  We need to nurture that eagerness and let them serve along side us.  It will create a spirit of service, compassion,  and leadership for the future generation.

I'm sure there might be ways in which you serve already.  Are you involving your kids in it? It can be pretty simple to do.  

Have them write a note when your preparing a meal to take to someone.
Give them a part in being hospitable when you have company.
Join them in serving in a community project.
Give them a part in helping you serve at church.

Serving others is all about loving others. Let's not only tell our children to serve, let's involve them and serve together.  

In what ways do you involve your kids in serving others? 








No comments:

Post a Comment